Phirni is a popular North Indian rice pudding. Its easy, simple and quick to make. A beginner who has started cooking, can make this sweet dish too. Phirni or Firni has its origins in the Middle east. It has made its way to the sub continent through the Mughals. One can find this sweet dessert prepared when people celebrate festivals like Eid, Diwali and Holi.
Like I said, even a beginner can make this simple sweet dessert with minimal ingredients. Variations are endless with the most popular one being the Badaam Phirni (Almond flavor), Kesar (saffron), Gulab (Rose), Pista (pistachio), Aam (mango), chocolate and strawberry.
Phirni is usually served in earthenware (clay pots or plates) which makes it palatable and beautiful. Garnished with edible silver leaf, saffron and nuts.
Lets get to the Recipe
Prep time – 10 mins
Cook time – 45 mins
Main Ingredients – Rice & Milk
- Rice (any brand) – 100 gms
- Milk – 2 ltrs
- Sugar – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 teaspoon
- Pistachio nuts – 1/2 cup
- Soak the rice for at least 2 hours before preparing the dish. Put the rice in a bowl, add water so that it reaches a little over the rice.
- Drain the water and grind the soaked rice. Do not make a fine grind. Use milk if need be to make it into a rough paste.
- Boil the milk in a pan. Take a heavy bottomed vessel. Keep simmering till the quantity of the milk is reduced from its original.
- Add the rice and sugar to the milk and cook until thick.
- Mix in Cardmom powder and Saffron in the thickened milk.
- Keep stirring so as to avoid the bottom to burn and lumps to form.
- Remove from the flame and pour into the serving bowl / plate. Keep it in the refrigerator to chill.
- At the serving time, garnish with Pistachios, Silver leaf and Rose petals.
- Cardamom powder should be added with the Saffron powder.
- Keep in mind to continue stirring while adding sugar. Sugar makes lumps if not mixed well.
- If your phirni has become too thick than usual, add few tablespoons of boiled milk.
Phirni is often eaten cold. So one has to wait to enjoy this delicious sweet pudding.