Pickles, are everyone’s favorite and very famous in India. Add up an extra taste / spice to your food. The preservation usually requires salt and oil (lots of oil).
Everyone in India has jars / bottles of pickles placed at their dining table. I prefer home-made pickle as they are prepared in a hygienic way. The bottles available at shopping stores, have preservatives and color added to give them longer shelf life. For that matter the colors they use are not good for our health. My favorite pickle of all time – Mango , Green n Red Chilly, Carrot n Turnip. Which pickle is your favorite?
Many of us think making Pickle is a hectic job. Yes! I will not deny. It is. That is why I share with you a simple Recipe of Green Chilli.
And guess what? They are available at the Vegetable Market nowadays. Go get some Green Chilli before the season ends..
- Green Chilli – 500 grams
- Lemon – 1
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
Mixture For Filling
- Dried Mango Powder (Amchoor) – 3 tablespoon
- Fennel seeds (Souf) – 2 tablespoon
- Turmeric Powder (Haldi) – 3 tablespoon
- Mustard Seeds (Rai) – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – 1 tablespoon
Mix Dried mango powder, fennel seeds, turmeric powder and salt together, roast it for 2 minutes.
- Wash green chilli and pat them dry.
- Cut the stalks and top skin of green chilli. (lengthwise) Don’t cut till bottom skin. When you cut open the top skin, its easier to fill the mixture.
- When your filling is roasted, remove from flame and transfer to a smaller bowl. Add some lime juice into the mixture. Mix well.
- Now fill mixture inside green chilli.
- After filling the mixture, cut the chillies in half.
- Heat oil in a pan and add Mustard seeds. When you hear mustard seeds cracking, one by one add filled green chillies in the pan and cover using a plate for 10 minutes.
Now, isn’t this simple? Spice your food with this delicious spicy Pickle
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Storage – 1 month
Tips in selecting Green Chilli (Took me a while too to learn)
- When shopping for Green Chilly at the vegetable market, pick it up, smell. If there is a strong smell DO NOT buy it.
- Ask the vendor about the spiciness before purchasing.
- Always check the stalk of green chillies. It should be fresh green and NOT black or brown.
- Freshly plucked chillies are thick. The more the thickness, the more the taste and juicy.
Did you know? Green Chilli has a compound known as Capsaicin.
Health & Beauty Benefits of Green Chilli —
- Intake of Green Chilly helps your heart, bones, teeth, dissolves blood clots, burns calories, blocks cholesterol levels.
- It improves the immune system and helps the eyes.
- Eating spicy food items with lots of green chilly (Capsaicin) during summer helps reduce your body temperature and sweating process. (Guess I am going to eat lots of Green Chillies this summer)
- Provides a glowing skin and keeps you away from wrinkles.
If you are aware of more Health & Beauty Benefits, please do mention.