Recipe of Cauliflower and Turnip Pickle, prepared by my Granny. Though its best to prepare this pickle in winters when the vegetables are fresh, crunchy, flavors are best and which give a lovely texture.
I was not able to find Turnips at the vegetable market, so we prepared the pickle minus Turnips. However, when you follow the steps and Turnips are readily available, the Recipe is best.
Remember to store your Pickle in a clean dry jar. Any kind of moisture will spoil your Pickle.
- Cauliflower – 3 kgs
- Turnips – 2 kgs
- Mustard Seeds – 175 grams
- Ginger – 125 grams
- Grounded Garlic – 125 grams
- Kashmiri Mirch (Red Chilly Powder) – 1 packet
- Mustard Oil – 1 kg
- Salt – 250 grams
- Gur (Jaggery) – 1 kg and 250 grams
- Turmeric Powder – 4 tablespoons
- Wash Cauliflower and Turnip well. Cauliflower – Cut small florets. Turnip – peel the skin and cut thick slices.
- In a large vessel add 2 liters of water and add Turmeric Powder. Pour pieces of Cauliflower and Turnips.
- Keep the vegetables in water and turmeric powder till water comes to a boil.
- Let the vegetables cook for 2 minutes. When water comes to a boil, drain it.
- Spread the vegetables on a dry cotton cloth and the excess water be soaked.
- Heat Mustard Oil in a pan. When you start hearing cracking sounds, turn off the flame and keep the oil aside to cool a bit.
- In another pan, add Jaggery with water. Continue stirring to mix jaggery well with water to form a thick sauce.
- Cut slices of Ginger and ground Garlic.
- Add Ginger, Garlic and the vegetables to the Mustard Oil. Stir a bit for the vegetables to soak mustard oil.
- Mix Mustard seeds, Red Chilly Powder and Salt one by one.
Once the vegetables are curated and marinated well in the Oil mixture you can serve the Pickle with your daily meal.
To use for the next 3 months – Store the Pickle in a jar and keep it in a cool dry place.
To use the Pickle for the next 6 months – Refrigerate.
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 10 minutes
Marination Time – 2 or 3 days