For Indians, when they hear ‘Pickle’ it brings the feelings of happiness and joy. For me jars filled with home made pickle invokes the same feeling.
India being a diverse country with different regions, languages, people and culture. Indian Cuisine is colorful and the people living here offer various kinds of Pickles that will blow your mind. To the point they have ideas of keeping vegetables immersed in a jar of vinegar.
Pickles are the pride of our country, India. No meal is complete without tickles that these pickles leave on your tongue. No matter where you come from or belong to, food is incomplete without Pickles.
From picking techniques to the finished product, the journey of every house hold will differ. But at the end of the day , when your pickle is ready and for use, the happiness it brings, is same everywhere.
- Lemon – 5 kgs
- Salt – 450 gms
- Sugar – 2 kgs
- Red Chilly Powder – 250 gms
- Cumin Seeds / Jeera – 250 gms
- Wash the lemons and pat with a dry cloth. With the help of a clean and dry knife, cut lemons in half and then round in shape.
- In a clean dry jar, preferably a glass jar or a ceramic container, start layering these lemons with salt. Keep layering until you exhaust all pieces. Make sure you cover your container with a lid /cloth and keep the container under direct sunlight for 2 -3 weeks.
- Everyday keep stirring the lemons. The salt will spread evenly and will soften the skin of lemons.
- After 2 -3 weeks, the skin will soften and you will notice change in color. This is when you know, its time to proceed to another step.
- Add Red Chilly powder and Cumin Seeds and wait for 2 more days.
- After the second day of adding Red Chilly Powder, Cumin seeds, add Sugar.
Once you have added all these ingredients, you can store the Lemon Pickle in sterilized air tight containers. The shelf life of this kind of Lemon Pickle lasts for years. I know because I have been eating this Lemon Pickle made by my Grand -mother and Mother, since I was a child. I feel lucky that around this time of the year they are preparing the pickle again and I get to share the Recipe with you all.
Now this is not all. Did you know the Benefits of this Pickle? NO
Stay Calm.. This pickle is cooked without Oil. So its very good for people with Digestion issues. Did you know this pickle also helps cure hangovers? Try it the next time you have a hangover.
Prep Time – 10 mins
Resting Time – 3 – 4 weeks
Spice Level – High
Shelf Life – Years
You will not believe me when I say, that my Granny and Mother actually store this pickle for years. Try to do the same, your lemon pickle from dark brown will turn black. Over the years, lemon pickle stored in containers turns black. Do not worry! Your pickle is still eatable. I love the Black Lemon Pickle.
My granny’s friends who visit us from abroad, pre book bottles of the dark brown and black pickles. Its pure joy when a dozen bottles are given away.
- When purchasing Lemons, look for the ones with thick skin. Thick skin takes longer resting time, but for this pickle, they are the best.
- Make sure that your utensils, knives, cutting board, cloth, containers / jars / ceramic pots are all clean and dry. Any kind of moisture content will reduce the shelf life.
Enjoy your Pickle with Dal & Rice, Yogurt Rice, Dosa or any kind of Indian Bread / dishes.