Rich, sweet, delicious Indian fried sweet dumpling is made during the festival Holi.
Gujiya, also known as Karanji in Marathi and Ghughra in Gujarati. The outer layer is crisp and made with flour while
the inside of the filling is made from milk, coconut, nuts and dried fruits.
I share with you a recipe made with Khoya filling. There are various methods and variations which you can use.
- Sieve the flour, add some Suji (Semolina) , drizzle some ghee. Using fingertips mix well so that the mixture binds. Add some water and knead a soft dough.
- Cover the dough with a damp cloth for 15 minutes and set it aside.
- On medium heat, heat a pan, add Khoya and sugar. Keep stirring until light brown in color. For the Khoya I used Coconut powder, Big Elaichi seeds, Melon seeds and Raisins. It will take maximum 2 minutes.
- Remove the pan from heat and allow it to cool.
- Now, divide the dough in small balls and roll each ball into a circle using a rolling pin.
- Heat ghee and deep fry the dumplings on medium flame.
- Put about a spoonful of the mixture. Fold and seal the rounds twisting the edges inwards. To seal the edges I made a paste using flour and water to act as glue.
- When the dumplings turn golden brown, remove them from the frying pan and keep in a vessel that is spread with brown paper. The brown paper will soak all the extra oil from the Gujiya.
- Now take a thick bottomed vessel on medium heat, add sugar and water to make Chasni (sugar syrup). Keep stirring and test the consistency. For the testing of the consistency use the Tar (thread) method. 1 tar – 2 tar – 3 tar system. Its effective to get know the desired strength of the syrup for preparing Indian Sweets.
- When your Chasni is ready, dip the Gujiya dumpling one by one in the sugar syrup.
Preparation time – 30 minutes
Cooking time – 20 minutes
Shelf Life – It stays fresh for 5 days in an air tight container.
Know about Tar (thread) Levels –
- Single thread and breaks immediately – half thread consistency chasni.
- Single thread and does not break – one thread consistency chasni.
- Two threads and do not break – two thread consistency chasni.
- Three thread and do not break – three thread consistency chasni.